Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Fisheating Creek

So wait, you thought that I went paddling and camping in this awesome tree, in this incredibly scenic place, and didn't bother waking up to shoot the next day? Come on now, guys, you can hold me to higher standards than that...


Ok, so I'd be lying if I told you sleeping in the Giving Tree was as romantic and peaceful as it sounds. In fact, I barely slept. Temperatures dropped down into the 40s that night and my hammock offered little protection, especially with wet clothes. It's bittersweet though, because when I looked at my watch in the pre-dawn, I was more than ready to get my blood flowing, even if that meant having to walk through the cold water to get to my camera gear. Giddy, because there's nothing like photographing a swamp in the fog, I jumped in my kayak and headed out for the morning.


There were so many seductive landscapes, I could barely contain myself. As the sun glowed over the creek, I could feel the energy pulsing through the trees. This is a magical place.




After eating breakfast and loading up the kayaks, we headed downstream and explored along the exposed banks. With water levels low, it made for some very dramatic landscapes. 


It stayed cold most of the day, so I wasn't surprised not seeing many reptiles. Only a couple of snakes managed to poke their heads out, trying to see if it was worth leaving the warmth of their cypress tree. 


Only an anhinga dared to brave the cold water for a meal.



2 comments:

  1. I love the photos! The tree is so cool and the bird is great.
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. these photos remind me of "Where the Wild Things Are" :)

    ReplyDelete