Saturday, March 24, 2012

Savage Race Orlando


I'm finally getting around to editing the thousands of photos I shot at Savage Race held in Clermont, Florida at Revolution Off Road two weeks back. As promised by the Savage Race staff, this race was a definite upgrade from its debut in August of 2011; more obstacles, more competitors, more spectators, more mud, and less gale force winds! Although the thunder and lightning of last year's event put the final savage touch on the course, this year people were able to enjoy the food, beer, and live band provided by the race. These events are so much fun to shoot because there are so many opportunities for great action and raw emotion.

Here are some of my favorites: 





 Even Stuart Scott, host of ESPN made it out to Savage Race, and finished strong!







 








The "best obstacle award" definitely goes to the ice bath which was an industrial-size garbage container filled with 2 feet of ice and water. I spent a lot of time there, just getting people's faces as they emerged from swimming under a brutal barrier that divided the tank. These are the faces that scream "I can't believe I paid for this torture!"


Of course I couldn't just sit around and watch everyone else have all the fun, especially with my brother, uncle, and cousins having finished (the latter ran it twice!), plus I was already a little muddy just from shooting photos... so once everyone had crossed the finish line, I put on my five fingers and convinced coworker Adam Chasey to go with me. 

Me crossing the last obstacle, "mud n guts." Photo by Pat Abbitt

What a great way to spend a Saturday. I can't wait for the next event! The word on the street is they're looking for more venues in other states... 

1 comment:

  1. I sent this to my Tough Mudder team as inspiration...great photos!

    ReplyDelete